The Confucius Institute at Maryland (CIM), established with support from Hanban, also known as the Office of Chinese Language Council International (CLCI), promotes the study of Chinese language, culture, ethics, and philosophy, and furthers the understanding of China today.
As our mission, CIM:
- Provides Chinese language teaching through individual or group non-credit Chinese language courses for professional and personal use and enrichment. Classes include these levels: beginning, intermediate, advanced, conversational, intensive, travel, and business Chinese.
- Organizes scholarly seminars and lectures, arts and cultural events, and conducts research activities on Chinese culture and its contemporary significance. Programs focus on timely and relevant topics in culture, education, history, philosophy, politics, art, economics, and society.
- Offers culture and language learning trips to China, and hosts an annual language competition for college and K-12 levels.
- Provides teacher-training programs for teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
- Offers preparation and administration services for HSK Chinese language proficiency testing.