Established with support from Hanban, also known as the Office of Chinese Language Council International (CLCI), the Confucius Institute at Maryland (CIM) promotes the understanding of China today through the study of Chinese language, culture, ethics, and philosophy.
As our mission, CIM offers:
- Individual or group non-credit Chinese language courses for professional and personal use and enrichment. Classes include: beginning, intermediate, advanced, conversational, intensive, travel, and business Chinese.
- Scholarly seminars and lectures, arts and cultural events, and research activities on Chinese culture and its contemporary significance. Programs focus on timely and relevant topics in culture, education, history, philosophy, politics, art, and economics.
- Culture and language learning trips to China.
- An annual language competition for college and K-12 levels.
- Teacher-training programs for teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
- Preparation and administration services for HSK Chinese language proficiency testing.
- Support for and collaboration with students and staff of four active Confucius Classrooms affiliated with CIM.