Step 1: Setting Your Goals & Expectations
Setting your goal is the first, and one of the most important, steps in any kind of job, internship or volunteer search.
By working through some framing questions, you will be able to set realistic expectations for yourself as well as establish important parameters for your search.
Some questions to ask yourself may include:
- Why do I want to work, volunteer or intern abroad?
- What are my expectations of an international experience?
- What opportunities do I think will be available to me?
- How do these opportunities contribute to my long term goals?
- What types of experiences will help me achieve these goals?
- What are options that I am open to?
- What are options that I am not open to?
- What is my idea of an international job?
*Recording your questions and answers in a notebook will enable you to refer back to them as you proceed with your search.
Being specific in your goals will also assist you to monitor your progress and establish concrete steps to achieving your goals (i.e. saying you want an international internship is just as vague as saying you want an exciting job).
- When do I want to go abroad?
- How much time do I want to be abroad?
- What do I know about the country or region I am interested in?
- What language skills are necessary to live in that country?
- What is the cost of living in the country I am planning to go?
- How much money do I need when I arrive to get settled?
- What skills do I need/what skills have I acquired to prepare me for such an experience?
- What kind of visa or travel documents do I need to live or work in that country?