All J-1 scholars must engage only in the approved activities and at the specific location for which your DS-2019 was issued. To work for any employer other than the school named on your Form DS-2019, you must first obtain approval in writing from your J-1 Responsible Officer. Please refer to the following conditions and procedures below for guidance on obtaining this approval.
The proposed employment:
- Must be directly related to the objectives of your Exchange Visitor program;
- Must be incidental to your primary program activities; and
- Must not delay the completion of your Exchange Visitor program.
To obtain authorization for incidental employment, you should present the following to your J-1 Responsible Officer:
1. A letter of offer from the prospective employer detailing the following information:
- Terms and conditions of the employment
- Duration (start and end dates)
- Number of hours
- Field or subject
- Amount of compensation
- Describing the activity for which you are being hired
2. A letter from your department head or supervisor:
- Referring to the letter from the prospective employer;
- Confirming that the employment is directly related to your principal activity, is indeed incidental, and will not delay completion of your program; and
- Requesting approval of the employment.
3. Meet with your J-1 Responsible Officer.
- The J-1 Responsible Officer must evaluate the proposed employment in terms of your program objectives and your individual circumstances, and then decide whether it would be appropriate or not.
- If your J-1 Responsible Officer approves the employment, you will be an independent contractor and your authorization will take the form of a letter to you from your J-1 Responsible Officer.