Have Questions?

- Common Questions

- Chat
with an Advisor

- View ISSS Services

-Make an appointment with an Advisor, call 301-314-7740

J-1 Scholars and Faculty

Your J-1 Responsible Officer
For advice, questions and information, consult your J-1 Responsible Officer. 

If your J-1 sponsor is the University of Maryland, then consult with one of our Faculty and Scholar Advisors, Connie Jesse Lira or Briana Anderson.  You may also consult by phone at 301-314-7740.

If your J-1 sponsor is an agency, and if you are uncertain how to reach your J-1 Responsible Officer, staff in International Student & Scholar Services at the University of Maryland can help you contact the agency, but they have no authority over your J-1 visa status.

J-1 Scholar and Faculty Information

Change of Status


Employment Options

Extension of Stay

Maintaining Status

Medical Insurance

Social Security


Travel Abroad